[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 43 KB, 667x593, 10c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
982133 No.982133 [Reply] [Original]

Could AI make rigging obsolete? I'm tweaking right now and obsessed with this idea of creating an alternative animation system that doesn't require rigging. Basically you would just have your sculped or retopo'd character, click a button, and IK/FK handles for animation would appear. But instead of bones and weight painting, which are essentially just constraints, the animation is purely done by deforming the mesh. kind of like fluid animations or blend shapes on steroids. the AI would then automatically constrain the deformation like weight painting would on a rigged character. I understand that this would result in worse performance than rig based animation and also cause problems with UV mapping, but just try to think of the benefits and how things could be 10 years from now. Pic related, my first attempt.

>> No.982134

It would be a prime application example for AI but so far it hasn't been implemented yet

>> No.982135

>>982133
AI in 3d is a meme for everything except for rendering.

>> No.982141
File: 636 KB, 640x480, 0001-0300.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I partially agree, in fact I'm trying to do something non-erotic that exemplifies the co

>> No.982927

cool for hobbyists for quick generic characters but professional rigs are so complex and usually tailored exactly for individual animators needs that I doubt we will ever see an AI rigging tool. it's one of the safest areas of 3D to work in

>> No.982930

>>982927
You should not concern yourself with that because no professional is ever going to let you touch his animation rig.

>> No.982944

>>982930
Anon I understand it pains you to think about this but there are actual talented successful people who work in the industry on this board. Stop coping

>> No.982948

>>982944
That's funny.