[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 586 KB, 3000x2000, LG-L-MS3_01_lodge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20462921 No.20462921 [Reply] [Original]

For how long should I season cast iron on the stove top? I have heard you should turn off the heat as it when it starts smoking and I have heard you should let it smoke for a few minutes. Which one is right?
Also Can I wash Cast Iron on cold water if it's still hot or can the thermal shock damage it?

>> No.20463034

>>20462921
>For how long should I season cast iron on the stove top?
Idk, heat up until oil just starts to smoke and turn the burner off.
1 or 2 times. Thin layer of oil.
Seasoning on purpose is dumb anyway, just cook something less sticky first. You have to earth that filth, this is the only way for shit to stick well and not delaminate.
>Also Can I wash Cast Iron on cold water if it's still hot or can the thermal shock damage it?
Thermal shock can damage it, plus you'd get scalded by vapor.
If you can't touch it, don't wash it.

>> No.20463196

Some of them today are already treated in factory and comes with a thin patina layer but there is no secret, like anon said >>20463034 if you want seasoning you have to cook with it, choose high polymerazing oil like olive or sesame oil.

To clean it don't fill it to the brim and don't use soapy water, or just one tiny drop, heat the cast iron, add the water and leave it on low heat for few minutes, then gently scrape the bottom with a wooden spatula until you have a wet caramelized goo that can be easely wiped.

If you cook outside you can also let it burn to crisp without any water until the sticky is carbonized, then wipe it with a used towel.

>> No.20464195

my burner doesn't get my pan hot enough to smoke the oil, and I don't have an oven :(

>> No.20464221

>>20464195
bbq works better than stovetop

>> No.20464222

>>20464221
I don't have a grill, I'm not allowed to have one as per my lease.