[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 399 KB, 1280x1280, HegelGod.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22877504 No.22877504 [Reply] [Original]

Is belief a constant dialectical process between believing and not believing? I'm thinking here of Kierkegaard's concept of Christianity's offense to reason. How does one overcome the offense and sublate weak belief into a higher belief? I know Christianity is the only answer and the way but I also don't believe it and find parts of it absolutely ridiculous. The answer is either Christianity or suicide.

>> No.22877514

>>22877504
>I also don't believe it and find parts of it absolutely ridiculous.
Just ignore those parts

>> No.22877597

>>22877504
This seems a bit dramatic, if you made it this far without Christianity then why are you now at a point where it is either believe or off yourself?

>> No.22878165

>>22877597
>if you made it this far without Christianity
No, stop there. I don't think I have. That's the point. I think Christianity is the disease inside of me of which I had no idea and only showed invisible symptoms. I think it wants to burst forth from me; but the disease itself was latent. I've never not believed in God, but it was in an abstract way and sense. So now what I'm trying to say is that I'm at an impossible impasse and ultimatum as to believe or not to believe: time is the element whose temporal sequence has inevitably led me to this point in my life.

>> No.22878215

>>22878165
If you believe Christianity to be a disease and fundamentally do not recognize their construct of a deity to be compatible with your construct of a deity then it does not sound like your existential angst is going to be resolved by accepting Christianity as your religion. Existential thought usually has an endgame wherein the introspective individual joins a cause, perhaps researching other religions may yield one that is compatible with your views. The nature of your existential angst is unlikely to have a time limit or expiration point of natural origin, in other words, you can live right up to your last moment and your death will have nothing to do with indecisiveness towards religious constructs, all urgency in this matter is false urgency. You may also find that changing your beliefs is acceptable after your period of introspection and find Christianity to be a suitable cause. I am not knowledgeable enough about kierkegaard to answer in kierkegaardian language but he ended up joining the Christian cause just on faith. There are a plethora of causes available for you to join if meaning is the endpoint of your introspection.